Christmas, the season when the air is heavy with the scent of gingerbread, and we don’t mind at all! Get a gingerbread shot in your latte, and settle down on the couch with your bae and some Netflix and enjoy this decadent and delicious gingerbread cheesecake from the recipe mastermind Monika Coghlan of Pepperazzi Food Styling and Photography.
- 800g cream cheese
- 200g creme fraiche
- 300g gingerbread biscuits, crushed
- 125g butter, melted
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 4 free range eggs
- 2 tsp mixed spice (ground cinnamon, coriander seed and nutmeg)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Zest of 1 orange
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 50g butter
- 142ml double cream
- Using a food processor, blitz the gingerbread biscuits into crumbs. Alternatively, put the biscuits in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- In a bowl, combine the crushed biscuits with the melted butter. Transfer the mixture into a 23cm springform cake tin and press it into the bottom. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes at 180C. Leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, using a mixer, beat the cream cheese, creme fraiche and caster sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs, spices and orange zest, and beat again until well combined.
- Transfer the mixture onto your gingerbread base. Bake in the oven for 1hr at 180C until set. Leave to cool.
- To make the caramel topping: In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar with water on low heat until dissolved. Simmer for 4-5 minutes stirring continuously until you get caramel. Be careful not to burn it.
- Take it off the heat. Gently stir in the butter and double cream. Leave to cool.
*Try not to just do this…
- Poor the caramel over the cake. Decorate with gingerbread biscuits, orange zest and a candy cane.
086 375 4058