Mulled wine and dessert; a festive season staple, right? Well, now you can enjoy the two in one with this delicious recipe for poached mulled wine pears with caramelised walnuts from Food Stylist and Photographer, Monika Coghlan of Pepperazzi. And once again, she’s got the right idea for serving sizes; this little gem serves you and five friends, or just you on a cold evening!
For the pears:
- 6 pears, peeled
- 750ml red wine (Shiraz)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4tbsp brown sugar
- 2tsp honey
For the walnuts:
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1tbsp butter
To make the poached pears:
- In a medium pot, bring the wine with sugar, honey and spices to the boil. Stir until the sugar is
- Add the pears and simmer for 45 minutes until soft and red in colour. Make sure they are all
covered with wine. If not, add a little bit of water.
To make the caramelised walnuts:
- Place the walnuts, sugar and butter in a pan. Simmer for five minutes, stirring continuously until the sugar is dissolved and all the walnuts are covered in caramel.
Be careful, caramel might burn quickly so make sure you keep an eye on it and stir.
- Serve the pears warm or cold with the caramelised walnuts and some brie cheese.
- Do not discard the remaining mulled wine. Serve it in glasses or mugs after dinner!
If you decide to have a go at making this delicious poached mulled wine pears with caramelised walnuts, tag us in your Instagrammable masterpiece at @hi_magazine and don’t forget to tag the recipe wizz, @pepperazzi_food_photography.
086 375 4058