With Black Friday just days away, new research reveals the five tribes of sale shoppers – Planner, Early Bird, Watcher, Opportunist and the Avoider. The traits were identified by Debenhams after the retailer interviewed 2,000 people on their plans for the annual shopping event.
- 16% are most likely to plan and write a list of the items they want to buy in the sales.
- A fifth (18%) said that they started to think about what they would buy in the Black Friday sales three months ago, while a half (47%) waited until a month before.
- A third (34%) said they had booked or plan to book Black Friday off work.
- Men are more likely to be Planners (20% vs 12% of women), as are Millennials (59%).
- 15% aim to catch the best bargains by setting their alarm for the early hours.
- Almost one in 10 (9%) plan to be checking out the sales a full six hours ahead others at 2am or earlier, a third (33%) will be online by 5am, ahead of 47% looking online at 8am.
- Women are the biggest Early Birds – one in 10 (10%) will be getting up at 2am or earlier to tackle the sales.
- 23% keep an eye on both the items they want and the sales in general in order to snap up a bargain.
- The average watching time is one to two days (16%) with a further near one in 10 (9%) keeping a close eye for as long as two weeks.
- The most avid Watchers admit to checking sales online every minute (2%), while the majority dip in and out every 10 to 15 minutes (10%).
- Women are the top watchers (27% vs 20% for men) and are most likely to monitor items for up to two weeks (12%) before they buy them.
- 25% of shoppers don’t believe in planning and buy what they want as soon as they spot it online or instore (17%).
- They are also the most likely (5%) to leave a sale screen open all day, so they don’t miss anything.
- Women are the main Opportunists, with a fifth (18%) admitting that they will purchase something as soon as they see it.
- 21% steer clear of discounts and sales.
- They are most likely to be male (23%) and over 65 years old (40%).
Richard Cristofoli, managing director of Marketing and Beauty at Debenhams, said: “Whether you are a Planner, Early Bird, Watcher or Opportunist, shoppers will find a host of great products at amazing prices at Debenhams this Black Friday with offers starting online on November 20 at 6:30am.
“From electricals, designer fashion and top brand beauty, even an avoider will be tempted to bag a bargain in store or online this year.”
Debenhams Black Friday deals run across 12 days this year with amazing offers launched daily across beauty, womenswear, menswear and electricals. The deals can be viewed here.
Debenhams Black Friday deals include half-price items throughout the store, plus amazing discounts, including:
Up to 50% off skincare, makeup and fragrance
- Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair 30ml set (Was €85, now €42.50, saving €42.50).
- Make Up For Ever Star Lit Eyeshadow Palette (Was €45, now €22.50, saving €22.50).
Half-price selected dresses, boots and handbags
- Matthew Williamson Pink Metallic Sequin Feather Trim Dress (Was €150, now €75, saving €75).
- Red Herring Tan Suede Desert Boots (Was €75, now €37.50, saving €37.50).
- Faith Silver Glitter Party Envelope Clutch Bag (Was €52, now €26, saving €26).
Half-price on homeware, cookware and luggage
- Star by Julien Macdonald Amore Bedding Set (Was €120 to €160, now €60 to €80, saving 50%).
- Tefal Stainless Steel Cookware Set (Was €150, now €75, saving €75).
- Tripp Black Cabin 4 Wheel Suitcase (Was €69.50 now €34.75, saving €34.75).