Scalp health has been a developing beauty topic for more than 18 months. Beauty emporium Space NK reported a 196% growth in its ‘scalp care’ category in 2020. However, this focus is more than simply a trend. The scalp is not only the place where your hair follicles lie; it’s also the foundation from which your hair grows. If your scalp isn’t in good shape, your strands won’t be either.
Seeking longer, stronger, healthier-looking tresses? Perhaps you should look into how well you’re treating your scalp.
Symptoms of an Unhealthy Scalp
- Unexplained hair loss or thinning
- Itchy or tight scalp
- Tingles when having colour applied
- Limp and greasy
- Severe shedding
Causes of an Unhealthy Scalp
- Everyday routines such as stress, pollution and poor diet can contribute to an unhealthy scalp.
- One of the biggest culprits is build-up caused by products like dry shampoo, oils and sprays. If not properly cleaned, the build-up from these products can clog the follicles.
- While daily washing can strip the hair of its natural oils, causing dryness, irritation, and flaking, infrequent washing can be just as harmful as it allows products and natural oils to build-up, causing damaging inflammation and a lack of new hair growth among other issues.
In order to achieve a healthy head of hair, it’s essential that the hair follicles are kept clean, clear, and well-maintained, meaning they aren’t weighed down with sebum or obstructed by dead skin, dandruff, or inflammation.
Implement a good routine of washing and don’t overload with products. The key is to find the right balance and determine what works best for your hair.
Your scalp needs exfoliation. Just like you exfoliate the skin on your face, your scalp can also benefit from a good scrub. Avoid using your fingernails when scrubbing, as you could damage the skin
The new Scalp Exfoliator & Massager from Tangle Teezer allows users to level up their haircare routine with an invigorating scalp exfoliation. Simply move the tool against the scalp for up to three minutes, with or without shampoo or scalp treatments.
This multi-tasking tool clears your mind as well as your head. The shorter teeth have been designed to hit the spot when it comes to pressure points, so you can power down with a relaxing scalp massage.
The specifically designed, handle-free design allows the user to control the pressure. Created to work with all hand sizes, it also features a texture material that will make sure it slips into your self-care routine, but not out of your hands
TANGLE TEEZER SCALP EXFOLIATOR & MASSAGER RRP €10.95/£8.00
Colours: Coastal Blue, Onyx Black, Pretty Pink and Lavender Lite
Available from Cloud 10 Beauty, McCabes Pharmacy, Dunnes Stores, Adrian Dunne Pharmacy, Chemist Warehouse and independent pharmacies nationwide.
*self assessment of 98 women after 2 weeks of use.